Our mission is to make a positive difference in the career and lives of Aligarh Muslim University Students and Alumni of AMU.

Yadoon Ke Jharoke

Golden 100 Yrs Memory of Aligarh Muslim University...

Read more...
 
100 Yrs of AMU Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

 100 Glorious Years of Aligarh Muslim University.

  24 May 1875 The inauguration of the School. This presided by Maulvi Mohammed Karim, president    of Managing Committee. Speeches delivered by Sir Syed, Raja Jai Kishan Das and Maulvi    Samiullah. Maulvi Samiullah's son Mr.Hamidullah Khan admitted as the first student.

 1 June 1875 The boarding house started with seven students on the roll with a budget of Rs. 989    per month.    Managing committee constituted Maulvi Samiullah, Chiragh Ali, Syed Mahmood, Raja    Jai Kishan Das, Sir Syed,    Nawab Ziauddin Khan and Maulana Ahsan Nanotovi was appointed its    member. Maulvi Samiuulah Khan was    appointed secretary of the Managing Committee.

 8 January 1877 Lord Lytton laid the foundation stone of Strachey Hall and the M. A. O. College.

 1 January 1878 First year classes started and the college affiliated to the Calcutta University for     F.A.  education.

 1 January 1881 B. A. classes started. Mr. Ishwari Prasad was the first student of M. A. O. College to     pass the    examination.

 26 August 1884 Students Union (Siddons Union Club) inaugurated.

 16 November 1887 The college affiliated to Allahabad University.

 21 December 1889 Trustee Bill passed. Sir Syed and Syed Mahmood appointed as    Life Honorary  Secretary and Life Joint Secretary of the college.

 15 July 1891 First issue of Aligarh Magazine edited by Maulana Shibli Nomani, published.

 20 December 1891 Law classes started.

 27 March 1898 Sir Syed Ahmad Khan died.

 31 March 1898 Efforts started to make the college a Muslim University by Sahibzada Aftab Ahmad    Khan.

 31 January 1899 Mohsinul Mulk appointed as the Secretary of M. A. O. College.

 7 March 1906 Princes of wales visited the college, Science section of the college dedicated to him    established.

 16 January 1907 His Majesty Habeebullah Khan Shah of Afghanistan visited the college and    announced a grant of Rs. 20,000.

 10 February 1907 Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah established Girls School which was recognized as    Undergraduate College in 1937.

 16 February 1907 Students strike against European staff of the College.

 11 January 1908 Viqarul Mulk appointed as the Secretary of the College.

 10 January 1911 A committee constituted to establish Muslim University with Sir Mohammad Agha     Khan as the President and Nawab Viqarul Mulk as the Honorary Secretary.

 25 October 1920 Mahatma Gandhi visited the College.

 17 December 1920 Inauguration of the Muslim University.Her Highness Sultan Jahan Begum, Wali    Bhopal appointed as the first Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University, Sir Ali Mohammad Khan,    Maharaja Mahmoodabad took over as the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.

 28 December 1922 First convocation of the University. 228 Science and Arts graduate were    awarded degrees.

 1 January 1924 Sahibzada Aftab Ahmad Khan appointed the Vice- Chancellor.

 16 November 1926 Nawab Bhopal Hameedullah Khan laid the foundation of the Science Faculty.    Government of India donated 15 lakh rupees and Nizam Hyderabad also donated 10 lakh rupees to    the University.

 27 November 1927 Ahmadi School for blind inaugurated.

 15 July 1928 Unani Medicine classes started.

 21 November 1938 College for Engineering & Technology inaugurated.

 11 October 1951 Aligarh Muslim University (Amendment) Act passed.

 3 January 1952 Institute of Ophthamology's foundation stone was laid.

 6 November 1955 Pandit Nehru laid the foundation stone of Maulana Azad Library which was    inaugurated by him on 6 Dec. 1960.

 3 December 1955 Shah Saud visited the University.He donated 50,000Rs for extension of    Union Hall,he was received in Union hall by Mobasshir Mohammad Khan the  then President and    Dr Zakir Hussain was VC

 25 February 1956 Iran's Shah's visit to the University.

 21 May 1956 A delegation led by Dr. Zakir Husain visited Saudi Arabia. Shah Saud donated 1    million rupees to the University Medical College. Date of establishment of Jawaharlal Nehru    Medical College.

 8 November 1960 Foundation stone of Kennedy House laid.22 lakh rupees donated by Ford    Foundation, U. S. A. to this complex. Foundation stone was laid by Pundit Nehru

 29 March 1961 Foundation stone of Faculty of Arts laid.Commerce Faculty started.

 2nd Oct 1962 Col Bashir Hussain zaidi VC,Prof Hadi hasan inaugurated and Surendra Kumar    an  Aligarh Industrialist was sitting beside Col zaidi,the ceremony was held in P.1(as it was    designated) the Physics Lecture theatre,the medical College was  started in the  same old Physics    department and the  new building of Medical college was  opened in Oct 1968

 20 November 1964 His Highness Sheikh Sabahu Saleem, Prime Minister Kuwait visited the    University.

 25th april 1965 ( during a University Court meeting in AMUSUnion Hall)an  unprovoked incident of    Police firing on students followed by unfortunate physical assault on University administrators    including the Vice Chancellor Ali yawar Jung,The University act was suspended on 26th April 1965    and an Ordinance was promulgated and University was closed sine die.

 20 July 1966 Womens's Polytechnic inaugurated.

 6 February 1968 Center of west Asian Studies established.

 16 April 1969 Faculty of Social Science introduced.

 17 June 1972 An undemocratic, highly objectionable Act imposed upon the University, known as    "Black Act".

 4 January 1975 Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Alnahyan visitedthe University and announced a grant of    millions of rupees for Petroleum College.

 13 March 1976 Annual convocation of the University inwhich Late Mr. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmad,    President of India, was the Chief Guest.

Special Thanks to Dr Syed Mohsin Raza

 
< Prev   Next >
© 2014 Aligarh Muslim University - Mera Chaman
Terms & Conditions